Our Mission

Proclaiming Christ to the world

Who We Are

First Lutheran Church is a congregation committed to loving God and neighbor.  We are dedicated to sharing the love of Jesus Christ with our neighbors near and far. We do this by spreading love and understanding, working for justice and peace, and living in the example of grace and mercy, as Jesus taught us. Come with us as we journey together in faith!  

Our Vision

Our vision is to be a thriving, Christ-centered community that transforms lives and impacts our city and beyond with God’s love. We aspire to be a beacon of hope, welcoming all people to experience the life-changing power of Jesus, grow in their faith, and live out their purpose. Through intentional discipleship, compassionate outreach, and empowering leadership, we seek to inspire generations to follow Jesus and make a lasting impact on our world.

Rev. Dr. Jeremy McElvain

Rev. Dr. Jeremy McElvain

Pastor Jeremy has been serving First Lutheran since 2012. He is a native of Centerville and enjoys learning about the town's history. His doctoral work is in Fine Arts and Theology. His dissertation work was on the white images of Jesus and their role in racism within the Church. He is an avid art collector and enjoys speaking about spirituality and the fine arts. Pastor Jeremy shares his art collection with the congregation, allowing the congregation to see an array of Christian art. His undergraduate work is in English and Literature (focused on American and British poetry), and he holds graduate degrees in Theology and Christian Education from Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary in Berkeley, California, and St. Paul School of Theology in Kansas City, Missouri. His doctoral work was completed at Wesley Theological Seminary in Washington, D.C.

Prior to serving at First Lutheran, Pastor Jeremy served parishes in both Missouri and Iowa.  

Pastor Jeremy can be reached by calling the church office at 641-856-3937 or by email at flc@natel.net.

Ms. Mary Ellen Stanley

Ms. Mary Ellen Stanley

Mary Ellen is our worship musician. You'll find her at the piano most every Sunday!

Our Beliefs

God is the creator of the world; the giver of life; the source of wholeness, healing, and forgiveness; the champion of the poor and oppressed; the power of new life and resurrection. God creates, redeems, and continues to sustain the world. Christians know God as the Holy Trinity — one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. As Christians, we believe all people are created in God’s image and loved by God. We know about God thanks to the witness of the Scriptures and especially through Jesus Christ, who embodied God’s love for humanity. God’s grace is a gift, given through Christ and received by faith. There is nothing we can do on our own — good or bad — to earn this gift. We call this “good news” or the “gospel.” Through this gift of God, we are led by the Holy Spirit to love and work for justice and peace.

Christians believe that God came to us in Jesus Christ, a true human, humble and vulnerable. Jesus lived among us and demonstrated the good news in all he was and did. The good news is the promise that God loves us and saves us by grace alone. This promise was realized when Jesus was crucified. He died on the cross but was raised again in the body and in a new wholeness. As a result, through the gift of grace received by faith, all people can be made whole in Christ and set free to love and serve all people, particularly the vulnerable, just as God loves us.

A cradle that holds the infant Jesus. Baby blankets that clothe the newborn Christ. Lutherans often use these well-known metaphors from Martin Luther to describe the Christian Scriptures and their importance. These simple metaphors clearly and profoundly describe both what the Scriptures are and what is their purpose.

Simply stated, the Scriptures tell about Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit uses the Scriptures to present Jesus to all who listen to or read them. That is why Lutheran Christians say that the Scriptures are the “source and norm” of their teaching and practice. As the Gospel writer John wrote, “these things are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name” (John 20:31).

Obviously, the Scriptures that are collected into a book or Bible describe and speak about many other things — everything from the creation of the world to the world’s end. Because these writings originate from a time period that spans about a thousand years and come to us in a variety of handwritten manuscripts and fragments, they have been studied carefully with all the tools of research that are available. This research continues to enrich understanding of the Scriptures and their message.

Despite the diversity of viewpoints and the complexity of the many narratives contained in the Scriptures, Lutheran Christians believe that the story of God’s steadfast love and mercy in Jesus is the heart and center of what the Scriptures have to say.

Martin Luther, after whom the Lutheran branch of Christianity is named, once wrote, “Faith is a living, daring confidence in God’s grace, so sure and certain that you could stake your life on it one thousand times. … Through faith, a person will do good to everyone without coercion, willingly and happily; serving everyone, suffering everything for the love and praise of God, who has shown such grace.” Faith, then, is not about intellectually agreeing to a set of beliefs but about living in a trusting relationship with God in response to God’s grace. Faith is our confident hope that living in God’s promises sparks renewal to love and serve neighbors, as God in Christ loves us.

Like the Scriptures, the three ecumenical creeds — the Apostles’ Creed, the Nicene Creed, and the Athanasian Creed — are written documents. They originate from the earliest centuries of the Christian church’s history, a time when theological and philosophical questions about the identity of Jesus were widely debated among Christians. All three creeds affirm that God is fully present in Jesus, that Jesus Christ is both God and human (not a semi-divine or superhuman creature that is neither). These three creeds are called ecumenical because they are all accepted and used by the overwhelming majority of the world’s Christians. All three are affirmed in the Lutheran confessional writings and in the ELCA’s governing documents.

Although these three creeds, like the Scriptures, are written, most Christians experience and use them spoken aloud with other Christians in worship. Along with many other Christians, Lutherans use the Apostles’ Creed at baptism; it is also the Creed most often used in basic Christian education (as in the Small Catechism). Lutheran Christians often use the Nicene Creed at festivals like Easter and Christmas and during seasons of the year related to those festivals. Some Lutheran congregations recite the Athanasian Creed on Trinity Sunday (the Sunday after Pentecost) because of its focus on the relationships between the persons of the Triune God.

On many occasions in the 16th century, Martin Luther and other evangelical reformers were asked to give an account of their teaching and practice. In response Philip Melanchthon, one of Luther’s colleagues, wrote, “We must see what Scripture attributes to the law and what it attributes to the promises. For it praises and teaches good works in such a way as not to abolish the free promise and not to eliminate Christ.” Although the writings that comprise the Book of Concord engage a range of issues regarding teaching and practice, they do not address every question or topic. Rather, they focus on the Scriptures’ purpose: to present Jesus Christ to faith.

The Book of Concord includes seven writings composed by Luther and others. Lutheran churches around the world have affirmed these writings, and the ELCA affirms them in its governing documents. Lutherans most often use them in teaching — for example, when the Small Catechism is used in basic Christian instruction, or when the Augsburg Confession is used to teach women and men preparing for ministry.

Parish Council

Mindi Tieden

Mindi Tieden

Council President

Janice McElvain

Janice McElvain

Vice President/Worship Chair

Mary Ellen Stanley

Mary Ellen Stanley

Secretary

Rob Matherley

Rob Matherley

Treasurer

Jeff Hamilton

Jeff Hamilton

Property Chair

Kris Elgin

Kris Elgin

Outreach/Evangelism Chair

Craig Houser

Craig Houser

Stewardship Chair

Becky Johnson

Becky Johnson

Education Chair

A Brief History of First Lutheran Church


In the year 1870, the Swedish people first began to settle in Centerville.  Some came directly from Sweden while others came from nearby settlements of Munterville, Ottumwa, and New Sweden. 

            In the years of 1879-1880 Pastor J.S. Benzon of the New Sweden congregation in Jefferson County preached occasionally in Centerville.  Peter Poulson, August Carlson, J. A. Nelson, S. John Peterson, Andrew Anderson and several others opened up their homes for the first devotional services.  These early settlers had secured employment with the Rock Island railway, which had begun to open up in this territory.  Amid such humble beginnings our Christian congregational work was begun.  Pastor J.S. Benzon organized the congregation on May 30, 1881 at the home of S. John Peterson with 22 charter members.  Thus began the Swedish Lutheran Congregation in Centerville.  In July 1881 at a congregational meeting they petitioned the Augustana Synod to be received into the Synod at the next synodical meeting and also to purchase several books for the congregation at a cost of $250.

            The first frame church building was built in 1881 on 19th and Walden Streets.  It was used for divine services the first time at a New Year’s service in 1882 and was dedicated in 1883.  An addition of 14 ft. was made in 1887 when a chancel and tower were added.  The church bell was placed in the tower belfry in 1898.  The first frame structure was built at a cost of less than $900, subscriptions for which were secured by a building committee.  Carpenters within the congregation erected the building.  Andrew Burkland laid the stone foundation for $95.

            The church parsonage was built on a lot adjoining the church in 1891 and was made modern in 1914.

            Pastor A.W.P. Elfstrom served First Lutheran from 1902-1910.  His salary was $300 per year.  He had to depend greatly on gifts of food from the gardens and farms of generous members of the congregation.  While serving in Centerville, he also served congregations in Buxton and Hiteman, IA.  Father Loftus of the Catholic Church served congregations in the same areas and became good friends with Pastor Elfstrom.  They hired a horse and buggy together since that was the only means of transportation in those days.

The outstanding event of the church year was the Thanksgiving bazaar and co-op dinner, an all day affair.  The day after was clean up day and all the women and children came to clean up and eat the leftovers.

            Most weddings were held in the study of the parsonage.

            In 1912 the Young People’s Society of the congregation purchased a new building lot on the corner of South 15thStreet and Sheridan Avenue.  This was in an area known as “Howell’s Annex.”  The new brick building was erected on this lot in 1924 by Staley-Shellburg, contractors, at a cost of $18,000.  The cornerstone was laid on August 3, 1924 (see following pages for cornerstone celebration program) and the church building was dedicated June 22, 1925.  Pastor Frank E. Peterson was pastor of the congregation and chairman of the building committee.  Other committee members were Oscar Bergstron, Louis Anderson, Alfred Burkland, Victor Shellburg (contractor), Gust Jacobson, Claus Johnson, L.J. Larson, Peter Lindahl, T.H. Lundgren, and S.P. Pearson.  The building committee secured subscriptions for the new building project.  Pastor O.A. Elmquist, who was a field missionary of the Iowa Conference, assisted them.  The original subscriptions covered all but $6,000 of the needed funds.

            The old building was sold, torn down and used to rebuild a home that had burned at 1020 N. 18th Street.

There was no parsonage at First Lutheran but the congregation furnished a residence at the Alexandria Apartments for Pastor Wenzel Bloom in 1928.  These were difficult years as Pastor Bloom reflected, “The nation suffered the worst depression of record.  Business places, fiscal centers and churches were involved in this depression.  The sacrificial love and loyalty of members of the congregation, the devotion of its many organizations and the support of the Conference weathered the depressed circumstances adequately.”

            Pastor and Mrs. Bloom came to Centerville in “a little tan, rumble seated Essex” and began a seven year ministry in our nearly new edifice.  He conducted morning and evening services with an afternoon service at our out-of-town congregation in Albia.  Since the paved highway ended at the city limits, he used the electric train operated by Iowa Southern Utilities to travel to Albia.

            In 1930 Pastor Bloom presided at the wedding of Fred Burke to Bonnie Porter.  Burke used the alias “Richard F. White” to sign the marriage certificate.  Burke was one of the shooters in the St. Valentine Day Massacre in Chicago.  After the fact, Pastor Bloom said he had reservations about marrying the couple, saying the bridegroom had “the appearance of a man who leads a somewhat loose sort of life.”

In 1935 Pastor Elmer Sahlgren was called and served a two point parish in Centerville and Munterville.  A parsonage had been purchased and the faithful and dedicated women of the Ladies Aid Society accepted the monthly payments on the parsonage.

Pastor Sahlgren wrote of his time in Centerville that due to economic conditions and to some degree church work in general in Centerville, as well as everywhere, could be described as a “holding action.”  Some buildings on the town square were vacant but the doors of First Lutheran were always open and a faithful congregation of young and old entered for worship regularly.

“If the general economic conditions were not too promising, more ominous was the situation in the world at large.  So during these days there were demands on our young men to register for the draft.  Well do I remember when a group of fine young men left home to go to Des Moines for induction into military service.”

Pastor John Benson served our congregation from 1946-1948.  During this time an electric organ was installed.

Eugene Larson was pastor from 1948-1950.  He told stories of Oscar Anderson who was sexton of the church.  Oscar was always at the church early to take care of the furnace, which regularly acted up.  Oscar also served as acolyte and would use the seat of his britches to light the matches for the altar candles.

Pastor H.O. Lindeblad served from 1950-1952.  During his time here as pastor, First Lutheran was on so-called “Mission Aid,” receiving financial assistance from the Board of American Missions.  Each month reports had to be sent in on how things were going – church attendance, number of calls made, etc.  Sunday School attendance was growing as well as worship services and the old coal bin in the church basement was renovated for a Sunday School meeting room.  Indirect lighting was installed in the church.  Once a month Sunday services were broadcast on the local radio station. Also during this time our church council voted to go self-sustaining, having the faith to go it alone on the financial program.

One of the most active organizations was the Couples Club, which met regularly including both members and non-members of the church for good food, recreation and fellowship.

Late July 1954 brought First Lutheran a young, single, inexperienced, little preacher.  Pastor Melvin Suhr holds the record for the longest tenure in this congregation (1954-1968).  In 1955 and 1956 the basement was practically remade.  A committee chose new, blue-green carpeting as the new color scheme in the sanctuary.  Special days in the church were celebrated in special ways – the beautiful Easter flower garden with the life-sized painted figure of Christ, the rows of candles down the center aisle at Christmas, and a huge Advent wreath that hung from the highest point of the chancel arch.

The youth program at First Lutheran was slow going at first but became the most active young peoples’ group among Centerville’s churches.  Kids sang in the choir, gave sermons, went to Bible camp and Leadership School, produced their own programs and according to “Pipe,” as he was lovingly referred to, “discussed topics almost to death.”  Confirmation was sometimes a talking marathon.  The youth also went to Holden Village, Southeast District overnights, and the Augustana Friendship Fair.  They had their own campouts at Lake Wapello and J&K Cabin and played Bingo with nursing home residents.  Also during this time the Ladies Aide was renamed the Lutheran Church Women.

Co-ops were popular, birthday party celebrations (with little cloth bags to put a penny in for every year of age you were) and vacation slides from Pastor Suhr were all memorable events as were fabulous church dinners with the best food from the best cooks anywhere.  (This sentiment was shared by many pastors!)

Once a month, during Sunday School, Verga McCoy was the missionary lady who told stories about missionary work and children around the world.  Sunday School classes were held all over the church building from the basement to the furnace room to the choir room and Pastor’s study and even in the kitchen.  Attendance climbed from 75 to 115.

Pastor David Young served 11 years from 1968-1979.  During this time the chancel area was remodeled, the new parsonage was built (15th & Walsh) and a satellite ministry in Unionville, Missouri was implemented.

Two ordinations took place during the 1970’s.  Robert Sherman Elgin was ordained January 1974 and in September 1979 David Paul Johnson was ordained.  Both men were sons of the congregation.

Pastor James Berka was called as minister on February 15, 1980.  During this time storm windows were installed to protect the stained glass windows.  In 1981 the church was completely redecorated in anticipation of the Centennial celebration.  The attic was insulated, new light fixtures were hung in the nave and vestibule, new carpeting for the basement and new doors on the front of the church.  

Lauren Ley was called as pastor in June 1988.  During Pastor Ley’s tenure, the house at 410 E. Sheridan, adjacent to the church property, was purchased.  The property was named “Felton House” in memorial to Jim Felton.  This house was made into a refugee home where the first refugee family was housed for over 3 years.  

Pastor Chris Thordason was called to serve First Lutheran in June 1993.  Pastor Thordason had lots of experience in the area of construction.  During his time in Centerville, he led people to do necessary repairs on the church property.  It was also decided to turn the “Felton House” into the church offices.  

Ron Darge was called to First Lutheran in a 3-year permanent interim situation.  During Pastor Darge’s tenure, Jean Montegna, a layperson of the congregation, was appointed to fill the Parish Coordinator position.  Pastor Darge was also an avid photographer.  One of his images, Reconciliation, hangs in the church offices today.   

Pastor Don Rothweiler was called to First Lutheran on a part-time basis in July 1997.  Pastor Rothweiler was a talented actor.  He enjoyed puppet ministry and acting.  His portrayal of Martin Luther was superb and meaningful.

Pastor Alison Shane was called to First Lutheran in November 1998.  Pastor Shane was First Lutheran’s first female pastor.  Her husband, Kent, was also an ordained pastor and served at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Albia, Iowa.

Pastor Gary Kinkel came to First Lutheran as an Interim Pastor.  Pastor Kinkel was also a Professor of Religion at Simpson College.  Pastor Kinkel enjoyed talking about theology and kept people interested especially as the conversation would delve deeply into God’s work in the world.    

Kathryn Franzeburg was called to First Lutheran in November 2004.  It was decided at the same time to also call Pastor Kinkel as a Teaching Pastor.  

In 2007, Nancy Pick, a long time member of First Lutheran, was ordained into the priesthood.  Later in 2007, Jeremy McElvain was ordained as a Diaconal Minister of the church (He was later ordained into the priesthood in 2009 at St. John’s Lutheran).

During Pastor Franzenburg’s tenure, significant changes were made in the ministry of First Lutheran.  In order for the congregation to be more thoughtful in ministering to the community, the congregation became a Reconciling in Christ Congregation.  Part of this process was the development of a Welcome Statement:     

As a community of the people of God, 

we are called to minister to all the people in our world.  

Though our world is a place of alienation and brokenness, 

Christ calls us to reconciliation and wholeness. 

We believe that we are a welcoming people and a safe place 

and we affirm with the Apostle Paul that in Christ, 

“there is neither Jew or Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male or female” (Galatians 3:28).  

We also proclaim openly that the gospel is God’s gift to all people to be shared unconditionally.  God’s gospel will be shared at First Evangelical Lutheran Church, member of the ELCA, without regard to age, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, financial or family status, physical or mental abilities.  A diverse congregation will enrich, nurture, and challenge our life and ministry as we grow together in the body of Christ.

In continuing to make First Lutheran a welcoming place, it was decided that it was necessary to make the building handicapped accessible.   This meant an elevator was needed along with restrooms on each level of the building. Additional fellowship space, classrooms and storage space were also needed.   The Narthex was added on and dedicated in 2010.  The cost of adding the Narthex was $522,000.  Funds were raised and pledges given to cover the cost.  Within three years, the project had been paid, leaving First Lutheran debt free.

            Upon Pastor Franzenburg’s departure to Wartburg Seminary, Pastor Jeremy McElvain was called as the Interim Pastor.  After a year of interim ministry, the congregation extended a call to Pastor McElvain in August 2013.  He presently serves as the Presiding Minister.  During Pastor McElvain’s time, a significant amount of energy has been placed in online ministry.  The church has a new website on which people can view worship and other happenings at First Lutheran (firstlutherancenterville.org).  

            Pastor McElvain, who was an avid art collector also shared his artwork with the congregation, having pieces displayed throughout the church building.  Additionally, he had artists display their work to raise awareness of much needed ministry needed throughout the community, particularly homelessness.

            In 2017, the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation, the Stained Glass Rose Window in the back of the sanctuary was restored.  Also a Prairiefire Crabapple tree was planted on the west side of the building to commemorate the Reformation Anniversary.

            August of 2019, the carpeting in the sanctuary was removed and the original hardwood floors were completely restored.  This was a done through a memorial for Sherman and June Elgin.  Pastor McElvain, along with a crew of congregation members painstakingly removed old adhisive and sanded the floors.  A walnut cross was inlayed in the floor, just in front of the altar.  This cross maked the spot where baptisms occured, where caskets were placed for funerals, and from where the pastor would often preach.

           In 2020, the Coronavirus hit the community.  From March through July the congregation was unable to meet in person.  Pastor McElvain made videos for worship and posted them online for people to watch.  When the congregation finally was able to meet, even though they had to socially distance and could not sing or speak the liturgy in unison, worship could be watched online via livestream.

          During the Coronavirus pandemic, the church building underwent another remodel.  The origial belltower was gutted, ceiling removed and raised and the old stairs to the basement removed.  In raising the ceiling, six (6) stained glass windows were revealed.  They had not been visible from the interior before.  Three of these windows, along with one from the sanctuary, were sent to Bovard Studios in Fairfield, Iowa for restoration.  The remodel was done in memory of the Pearson family by the Stephens family.  





Rev. J.F.Ahlin

Rev. A. Mattson

Rev. Erik Anderson

Rev. J.S. Benson 

Pastors of First Lutheran


1881-1882     Rev. J.S. Benzon               

1884-1885     Vicar M.P. Oden*

1885-1886     Vicar J.E. Linner*

1886-1887     Vicar J. Moody*

1887-1888     Vicar C.J. Maxell*

1888-1889     Rev. Erik Anderson

1890               Vicar Joseph Anderson*

1891-1892      Rev. Anders Mattson

1893-1894     Rev. Joh. Frans Ahlin

1896               Vicar E.V. Isaacson*

1897-1902      Rev. P.M. Linden

1902-1910      Rev. A.W.P. Elfstrom

1910, 1913       Vicar H. Tillman*

1911-1912        Rev. C.O. Lorimer

1913                Vicar L.E. Gullander*

1914-1922      Rev. O.A. Landell

1923-1927     Rev. Frank E. Peterson

1928-1935     Rev. Wenzel A. Bloom

1935-1941      Rev. Elmer Sahlgren

1946-1948     Rev. John S. Benson

1948-1950     Rev. N. Eugene Larson

1950-1952     Rev. H.O. Lindeblad

1954-1968     Rev. Melvin Suhr

1968-1979     Rev. David Young

1980-1987     Rev. James Berka

1988-1993     Rev. Lauren Ley

1993-1994     Rev. Chris Thordason

1994-1997     Rev. Ron Darge

1997-1998     Rev. Don Rothweiler

1998-2002    Rev. Alison Shane

2003-2006    Rev. Dr. Gary Kinkel

2004-2012     Rev. Kathryn Franzenburg

2012-present  Rev. Dr. Jeremy McElvain

Rev. O.A. Landell



Pastor O.A.Elmquist

Rev. C.O. Lorimer

Rev. Wenzel A. Bloom

Rev. A.W.P. Elfstrom